Saturday, 26 May 2012
(1) Jesus says we should beware of the doctrine of the Pharisees (Lk 12:1);
but Paul proclaimed himself a Pharisee even as a Christian (Acts 23:6).
(2) Jesus warns that not everyone who calls him Lord will enter the kingdom of heaven (Mt 7:21);
but Paul says everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved (Rm 10:13).
(3) Jesus asks men to preach the gospel (Mt 28:18-19);
but Paul says he did not receive his own gospel from men (Gal1:11-12).
(4) Jesus himself was circumcised (Lk 2:21);
but Paul says if we are circumcised we would be estranged from Christ (Gal 5:2-4).
(5) Jesus says children of God are born spiritually (Jn 3:3);
but Paul says children of God are adopted (Rm 8:15).
(6) Jesus says God must be the only father of believers (Mt 23:9);
but Paul proclaims himself the father of some believers (Phile 1:10; 1 Cor 4:15).
(7) Jesus says there is only one pastor and he is the one (Jn 10:16);
but Paul says there are many pastors (Eph 4:11).
(8) Jesus says there is only one teacher and he is the one (Mt 23:8);
but Paul says there are many teachers and that God ordained him as a teacher (1 Tim 2:7).
(9) Jesus says we should pray in private and not on street- corners (Mt 6:5-6);
but Paul says we should pray everywhere (1 Tim 2:8).
(10) Jesus says we should not eat food sacrificed to idols (Rev 2:14);
but Paul says it does not matter if we eat food sacrificed to idols (1 Cor 8:8; Rm 14:14).
(11) Jesus says we should not receive payment for preaching the gospel (Mt 10:8);
but Paul says we should receive payment for preaching the gospel (1 Cor 9:11).
(12) Jesus warns us to beware of thieves and robbers masquerading as pastors (Jn 10:1/8);
but Paul admits to robbing churches in the name of receiving wages from them (2 Cor 11:8).
(13) Jesus asks us to baptise as we preach the gospel (Mt 28:19);
but Paul dismisses the importance of baptism (1 Cor 1:17).
(14) Jesus says in preaching the gospel we should build on other men's foundations (Jn 4:38);
but Paul says he is determined not to build on other men's foundations (Rm 15:20).
(15) Jesus says we should not swear or curse (Mt 5:34-37);
but Paul swears and curses (2 Cor 1:23; Gal 1:9).
(16) Jesus is against the use of deception (Jn 1:47);
but Paul boasts of using deception (2 Cor 12:16).
(17) Jesus says we should disregard public opinion (Lk 6:26; Jn 15:18-19);
but Paul actively courts public opinion (1 Cor 10:33; 1 Cor 9:20-22).
(18) Jesus says God is not the God of the dead (Lk 20:38);
but Paul says God is the God of the dead (Rm 14:9).
(19) Jesus says believers will never die (Jn 11:26);
but Paul says believers died with Christ (Rm 6:8).
(20) Jesus says he was a ransom for only some people (Mt 20:28);
but Paul says Jesus was a ransom for everybody (1Tim 2:6).
(21) Jesus says some men are righteous (Mt 13:17; Mt 23:35);
but Paul says no one is righteous (Rm 3:10).
(22) Jesus says he is not the saviour of the righteous (Mt 9:12-13);
but Paul says Jesus is the saviour of all men (1 Tim 4:10).
(23) Jesus says the kingdom of God has been taken away from Israel (Mt 21:43);
but Paul says all Israel will be saved (Rm 11:26).
(24) Jesus says God does not desire sacrifices (Mt 9:13);
but Paul says God sacrificed Jesus to himself (1 Cor 5:7).
(25) Jesus says he did not come to abrogate the law (Mt 5:17-18);
but Paul says Jesus abrogated the law (Rm 10:4;Col 2:14).
(26) Jesus says salvation is by works (Mt 7:21; Mt 21:28-31);
but Paul says salvation is not by works but by grace (Eph 2:8-9).
(27) Jesus says our trespasses will only be forgiven if we forgive others (Mt 6:14-15);
but Paul says all our trespasses have already been forgiven
(28) Jesus says our receiving mercy depends on our being merciful (Mt 5:7);
but Paul says our receiving mercy depends entirely on God's discretion (Rm 9:16).
(29) Jesus says we will be justified by our own words (Mt 12:37);
but Paul says we are justified by faith (Rm 3:28).
(30) Jesus says eternal life is very costly (Mt 19:29; Lk 14:28-33);
but Paul says eternal life is a free gift (Rm 6:23).
(31) Jesus says eternal life is attained by hearing and acting on his words (Jn 5:24);
but Paul says eternal life is attained by grace (Rm 5:21).
(32) Jesus says God's commandments give life (Mt 19:17);
but Paul says God's commandments bring death (Rm 7:10; 2 Cor 3:7).
(33) Jesus says all God's commandments are summed up in two commandments; love God and love your neighbour (Mt 22:37-40).
But Paul says all God's commandments are summed up in only one commandment; love your neighbour (Gal 5:14; Rm 13:9).
(34) Jesus says we should love our enemy because we want to be like God, our Father (Mt 5:44-45);
but Paul says we should love our enemy in order to pour coals of fire on his head (Rm 12:20).
(35) Jesus warns us to beware of anyone who tells us the time is at hand (Lk 21:8);
but Paul tells us the time is at hand (Rm 13:12).
(36) Jesus called only twelve apostles (Mt 10:2-5; Mt 19:28);
but Paul claims Jesus called more than twelve apostles; including himself among others (Rm 1:1; Rm 16:7).
(37) Jesus was declared to be the Son of God many times before his death and resurrection (Mt 3:16-17; Mt 16:15-17; Mt 17:5);
but Paul says Jesus was declared to be the Son of God by his resurrection (Rm 1:4).
(38) Jesus says we should seek the kingdom of God and his righteousness (Mt 6:33);
but Paul says we should seek glory, honour and immortality (Rm 2:7).
(39) Jesus preaches the gospel of the kingdom of God (Mt 4:23);
but Paul preaches his own gospel (Rm 2:16); the gospel of the grace of God (Acts 20:24).
(40) Jesus says: "All liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone" (Rev 21:8);
but Paul says God's truth increased through the lies he told (Rm 3:7).
(41) Jesus says the word of God is truth (Jn 17:17);
but Paul says the gospel can be preached with falsehood (Php 1:18).
(42) Jesus says if we witness about ourselves our witness is false (Jn 5:31; Jn 7:18);
but most of what we know about Paul is what he witnesses about himself (2 Cor 11:22-33).
(43) Jesus says we should follow him (Mt.16:24);
but Paul says we should follow him (Php 3:17; 1 Cor 4:16).
(44) Jesus says he is a man of flesh and blood (Jn 8:40; Lk 24:39);
but Paul says Jesus is a spirit (1 Cor 15:45) who merely looked like a man (Php 2:7; Rm 8:3).
(45) Jesus teaches his disciples to pray and gives us prayer guidelines (Lk 11:1-4);
but Paul says believers don't know how to pray (Rm 8:26).
(46) Jesus says there will be eating and drinking in the kingdom of God (Lk 22:29-30);
but Paul says the kingdom of God is not in eating and drinking (Rm 14:17).
(47) Jesus says God is greater than he is (Jn 14:28);
but Paul says Jesus is equal with God (Php 2:6).
(48) Jesus said on the cross that the work of salvation was finished (Jn 19:30);
but Paul says he completed what Jesus failed to finish (Col 1:24).
(49) Jesus says we should obey his commandments (Jn 14:15);
but Paul issues his own commandments and insists we should obey them (1 Cor 7:10-12; 1 Cor 7:25; 1 Tim 2:11-12).
(50) Jesus says the word he speaks is the word of God (Jn 8:26; Jn 14:10/24);
but Paul says the word he speaks is the word of God (1 Thes 2:13).